Do-it-yourself mince pies are a should-bake all through the festive period, and absolutely nothing very compares to creating them from scratch. My nana applied to make hundreds just about every winter season, and I have discovered this fantastic recipe that tastes just like them.
- Preparation 40 minutes, additionally overnight soaking
- Cooking 25 minutes
- Helps make 12 (additionally 3 x 450 jars mincemeat)
Do-it-yourself mince pies recipe
FOR THE MINCEMEAT FILLING (Make the day ahead of)
- 225g raisins
- 225g sultanas
- 225g currants
- 50g all set-to-take in dried apricots, chopped
- 100g glace cherries, halved
- 100ml brandy or rum
- 1 medium having apple
- ½ tsp floor cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 180g Tate & Lyle Darkish Delicate Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp drinking water
- 50g butter
FOR THE PASTRY
- 200g basic white flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar, moreover more for sprinkling
- 100g chilled butter, lower into items
- 1 egg yolk from big egg
- 2 tbsp chilled water
- Overwhelmed egg, to glaze
1. To make the mincemeat, put the raisins, sultanas, currants, apricots, glace cherries and brandy or rum into a significant mixing bowl. Stir properly, then deal with and leave in a cool put for 4-6 several hours, stirring from time to time, or depart to stand overnight.
2. When the fruit has soaked, peel, core and chop the apple, then blanch it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain perfectly. Add to the fruit mixture with the cinnamon and nutmeg and stir properly.
3. Incorporate the Tate & Lyle Dim Soft Brown Sugar to the fruit mixture. Warm the lemon juice, h2o and butter in a saucepan until eventually the butter has melted. Incorporate to the fruit and stir effectively, then pack the mincemeat into sterilized jars. Seal and label. Hold in a neat place for up to 3 months.
4. To make the pastry, sift the flour, salt and Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar into a huge mixing bowl and stir them with each other. Rub in the chilled butter with your fingertips right until it seems like fine breadcrumbs.
5. Make a perfectly in the middle of the flour combination. Beat the egg yolk with the water and stir it in, working with a spherical-bladed knife, then deliver the dough jointly into a ball. Flip it out on to a evenly floured work surface area and knead frivolously until finally the dough is easy. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C/supporter oven 180°C/Gasoline Mark 6.
7. Roll out the pastry on a frivolously floured surface till 5mm thick. Stamp out 12 rounds with a 7.5mm cutter, then 12 rounds with a 6mm cutter, re-rolling the pastry as vital.
8. Put the greater rounds of pastry into patty tins and increase 1 heaped tsp of the mincemeat. Brush the pastry rims with water, then area the lids on leading, sealing the edges collectively. Use a sharp knife to make a tiny hole in the top of each individual pie. Brush with the crushed egg, to glaze.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes right until golden brown. Neat for a several minutes, then sprinkle with icing sugar and serve heat or chilly.
Superfood Gingerbread Cookies Yule Want To Bake With The Little ones This Christmas
Holly Jolly Previous-Moment Recipes For Christmas Working day